Starting a Virginia Business
- State Corporation Commission: Create or register a Virginia business
- Formation/Registration Documents: Common Virginia business registration and formation documents.
- Internal Revenue Services: Register a Virginia business for a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)
- Virginia Department of Taxation: Register a Virginia business for a Virginia Tax Account Number.
- Virginia Employment Commission: Register a Virginia business to hire employees.
- Small Business Association Resources: SBA Resources for a Virginia small business.
- SBA Resource Guide: Education, opportunities, and resources for your Virginia business.
- Local Registration and Business License: Check within the county/city in which your business is located.
Securing a Virginia Business
- Contracts: Draft and use contracts that protect the business.
- Employee Manual: Provide clear guidance and expectations.
- IT and Cybersecurity Review: Connect with a respected IT and Cybersecurity company to review your practices and protect your IT and Cybersecurity presence.
- Privacy Regulations:
- Bookkeeper and Tax Advisor: Between local, state, and federal tax regulations, rely on a trusted advisor to guide your business.
- Annual Review: Review your business’s financial, physical, and e-security at least once a year.
- Insurance: Professional insurance, depending on your business, liability insurance, unemployment insurance.
Growing a Virginia Business
- Chamber of Commerce: Connect with your local Chamber.
- Rotary Club: Connect with your local Rotary Club.
- Venture Law Startup Series: A great resource for information and events to educate and help grow start-ups.
- SBA Funding: Funding for your growing business.
- Federal Acquisition Regulation: The FAR provides the principal set of rules guiding the federal acquisition and procurement process.
- FAR Resources and News: Learn more about the FAR and receive the latest news.
- General Services Administration Forms: Standard GSA Forms.
- System for Award Management: Register in SAM to do business with the federal government.
- Federal Bid Opportunities in Virginia: Up-to-date federal bid opportunities and information in Virginia.