Willfully Discharging a Weapon Within or at a Building: Va. Code § 18.2-279

In Virginia it is a crime to

Maliciously discharge a firearm within any building when occupied by one or more persons in such a manner as to endanger the life or lives of such person or persons, or maliciously shoots at, or maliciously throws any missile at or against any dwelling house or other building when occupied by one or more persons, whereby the life or lives of any such person or persons may be put in peril.

Virginia Code § 18.2-279

How is Willful Discharge of a Weapon Punished?

Malicious discharge is punished a Class 4 Felony. This carries a possible sentence of 2 – 10 years and a significant fine.

If the discharge is unlawful, but not malicious, then the offense is a Class 6 Felony. This carries a possible sentence of 1 – 5 years and a significant fine.

If the discharge of a weapon results in a death, such a death can be charged as involuntary manslaughter, or first or second degree murder, depending on the circumstances.

Locations we serve: 

It is important for someone charged with Willful Discharge of a Firearm in Virginia to hire a criminal defense attorney who is close to the jurisdiction they are charged in. We are located right next to the Alexandria Courthouse and minutes away from Arlington, Fairfax, and Eastern District of Virginia (EDVA) courts. Our firm handles these cases in many locations throughout Northern Virginia such as: 

Alexandria General District Court

Arlington General District Court

Fairfax County General District Court

Prince William County General District Court

Loudoun County General District Court

Eastern District of Virginia, Alexandria Court

Should I get an Attorney?

Absolutely. All of the above charges are very serious. Each of them is a Felony carrying significant jail time. Further, it is possible and likely that other charges may follow. A qualified and local attorney can help you achieve the best result if you have been charged.

Contact our attorneys Farheena Siddiqui and Brian Szmak to discuss your case and see how we can help you.